It is hard to believe that Jeff & I will be married 20 years in July!! It doesn't seem that long, but time has a way of telling on us. :) Anyways, as I was reading through my blogger friends' posts, one of them had written how they had met their husband and was interested in the stories of how other couples met and became Mr. & Mrs. This of course, made me do some reminiscing. So...... here's how Jeff & I met:
We first met at Hobe Sound Bible College while serving on the Bus Ministry for our Christian service requirements (8/86). My initial impression of Jeff was that he was a bit "strange" :), but he became one of my circle of friends during my freshman year of college. Jeff & some of his friends worked for an electrician and I had a group of friends that I chauffeured to & from their cleaning & babysitting jobs. We all usually arrived at the dining hall around 5:30 and had to eat "late-tray" suppers, which we did together. Thus we all became pretty good friends while eating together (a conservative/Holiness/church tradition :) - eating!). During one of these times Jeff asked me to marry him. I told him, "NO", since I was dating someone from NY at that time (which he knew & was confident I would say, "no").
Then in January 1987, I broke up with the guy I was dating from NY, and sometime after that I had a hilarious dream about Jeff asking me to marry him. It got me "thinking" about him and watching him a bit more closely. Eventually we both knew that we liked each other, but Jeff was determined not to date anyone until his parents became saved. After a conversation with his pastor about dating & prayer, and me leaving on Spring Break ("Absence makes the heart grow fonder" actually worked this time), his ideas about dating changed and Jeff finally asked me out on a date about two months later (Yes, 2 mths later). I couldn't stop smiling after he asked me, so my friends were able to quickly figure out what had happened. We went to a musical that Hobe Sound Christian Academy performed called, Fat, Fat Jehosophat. My friends also decorated a corner of the snack shop with a sign (Friday Night Special: Jeff & Marea), streamers, candlelight, & sundaes. And thus began our dating days.
During our college Christmas break in 1988, Jeff asked me to marry him. When he got down on his knees by the couch ,with the Christmas tree lights glowing beautifully beside me, I wondered....."What in the world is he doing?" Then he asked me those words that every girl dreams of hearing, "Will you marry me?" This time I said YES!!
I didn't mention that he had asked me to marry him a second time (the first time was, as mentioned before, during our freshman year) sometime during our sophomore year and I turned him down. Now before you think bad of me, I should explain that Jeff asked me if I would marry him in ten years. I said no, because I wanted to marry him sooner than ten years.
So, the third time was the charm and it was the perfect setting (I love everything about Christmas) for a marriage proposal. I still wonder about him at times, know life with him will never be boring, & plan on being married many more years!!!!
Now that I have shared my love story, I would love to read about how you met & fell in love with your sweetie.
Remembering has certainly made my heart smile! :)
5 comments:
I enjoyed reading your story. It made me smile. :-) You're a cute couple. I'll be sure to tell you my story when I have one ;-) Hope things are going well. Take care!
Your story was very interesting! College is a great place to find a spouse! By the way, what day in July is your anniversary? We will be married for 20 years on July 29th.
We'll be married 20 yrs. on July 8th. My parents celebrate their 42nd anniversary on the same day, too.
Ours was over an old sick cow. And every time that he gets agrivated at me I say Don't blame me, blame that cow.
Post a Comment